WELCOME MESSAGE

Welcome caregivers of ungrateful teenagers. I invite you all to share your wisdom, stories, suggestions and advice regarding your UT (ungrateful teen). While we will continue to discuss our UT's, it's also important for our UT's to know that even though they are ungrateful, we still love them. But on the real, something has to change and soon! Let's support each other and remember, sometimes it takes a Village, a shoe and good aim to raise a child.

Peace and Love! Lisa Butler

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Can you buy me a pair of new sneakers for Thanksgiving?

Yes, this is the question that my 16 year old son Anthony asked me a few days before Thanksgiving. Why would this boy need a new pair of sneakers just to go to his Grandmother's house for dinner...and why would he think that I would purchase them for him? As we gather with our families for a day of giving thanks it's important to remind our children what the true meaning of this holiday is about. Again, because we're dealing with ungrateful children it may be necessary to spend a little extra time hammering home the message today... Have a great and happy "Thanksgiving Day".

2 comments:

  1. What's wrong with them? I don't know if you do allowance, but I found it to be a good idea to get them to do things around the house for a small reward....nothing major and if they let it add up they can buy their own item/wants....also when they have to spend their own money they realize how unimportant those items are...Girl and when they get their first job, let them know what that means....You are responsible for all of your own WANTS! I will supply your needs.

    Lisa I am loving this....keep up the good work.

    FYI - I've been writing a book called "Raising Missy" The good and trying times of raising girls.

    Have a blessed day.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla, I don't do allowance in my home. My son charges me for watching his 4 year old sister and this is how he earns money. I don't mind because she is not his responsibility. I refuse to pay him for doing things around "our" home, with one exception and that's when he helps to clean out my closets, lol. I encourage him to apply for a part-time job to earn money, just like you said to supply his "wants". I really like the concept of your book "Raising Missy" because I do believe the relationship between Mothers and daughters are very unique and challenging. Stay blessed and keep me updated about the book.

    ReplyDelete